Wednesday, April 27, 2011

'I've learned to accept my brother's autism and want to help' | Life & Style

'I've learned to accept my brother's autism and want to help' | Life & Style

Coping with an autistic child is challenging for any family. For Bella Tommey, growing up with her brother Billy meant missing out on "all those things other people take for granted" after he was diagnosed with the disorder at the age of two.

"We couldn't go to Sainsbury's without him having a fit and I couldn't even go shopping with my mum because she'd have to look after Billy," explains the 16-year-old. "We couldn't just hang out as a family."

Having a sibling with special needs has not left Bella feeling resentful or cheated though.

Instead, it has been the inspiration for Give Autism a Chance, her campaign to find jobs for people like her 14-year-old brother. Its supporters include 1,500 Facebook fans and even David Cameron, who invited Bella to No 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autism - Google News

The Autism Retort: 25 Newest Blogs Posts


ShareThis