Monday, April 18, 2011

Recovery vs Neurodiversity - Why Can't We Accept Both? | BlogHer

Recovery vs Neurodiversity - Why Can't We Accept Both? | BlogHer

Not long after my son Josh was officially diagnosed, I joined a few online support groups - for parents of special needs and autistic children. What I discovered much to my shock and disappointment, was that belonging to these groups was actually doing more damage to me emotionally/psychologically than good because of the vehemence with which people would argue their beliefs - it wasn't enough for anyone to simply say, this is how I feel, or not, it was apparently necessary to make those who didn't share those beliefs feel like the worst people on the face of the earth. I'm not just talking about the vaccine issue, it also happened and still happens, regarding treatments and therapies. So I simply stopped participating and have made it somewhat of a self-imposed rule that I don't get in to those issues any more, particularly on my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Autism - Google News

The Autism Retort: 25 Newest Blogs Posts


ShareThis